Monday, May 12, 2008

A first post...

Two weeks ago, I enrolled with Career Step, LLC and I am officially en route to becoming a medical transcriptionist. I officially started my training on May 1st. I thought it may be interesting to blog about this whole experience, to vent and share my journey both for my own benefit and possibly for the benefit of others considering or going through the program.

First off, a little background. I am a 22-year-old female who spends probably too much time with her computer. I recently moved out of my mom's house and into a house with my boyfriend (fiance) that is 150 miles away from home. I live with 3 additional roommates, all male, and our two lovely cats. Ultimately, my goals at this time will be to continue the pursuit of a Bachelor of Art or Sciences (possibly in the arts or anthropology) and I hope for medical transcription to be a means to that end. I need a way to make rent and pay bills and be sane, which in this job market is not easy. I currently work at a department store five hours weekly (I know, right?) and I just started working the door at a local club/bar/venue once a week. Obviously, I need something a little more substantial until the time when I can make medical transcription an income.

I found out about the industry working as an office/pharmacy assistant back home. A friend who ran another office mentioned how in demand medical coders were and all that and that planted a seed. I bounced the idea off of my supervisor, who knows me much better than the friend, and recommended that instead I look into transcription. Looking back, I agree with her reasoning; while I know that the medical coding industry is just that much more in need right now, my personality is more geared towards the transcription aspect of things. A little bit more interactive, I suppose. My search led me to Career Step.

I think that's all for now. As far as the course goes, I'm chugging along through medical word building. Prefixes and suffixes were easy enough, root words are taking a little bit more work, but not bad. I previewed the audio files and they are incredibly daunting, I kind of panicked a little. However, the threads at the forums regarding just that (the panic of clinical!) have reassured me that I'm not alone.

I started this account to be my primary outlet for all things MT related. I have a livejournal for the nonspecific, everyday life blogging.

Here's to a new beginning!

No comments: